Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Journey to the Cross: Lenten Reflections ~ Hebews 3:1-11


Today’s Lectionary Reading includes the following reading from the Book of Hebrews.

Hebrews 3:1-11 ESV – Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession, who was faithful to him who appointed him, just as Moses also was faithful in all God's house. For Jesus has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses--as much more glory as the builder of a house has more honor than the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope. Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness, where your fathers put me to the test and saw my works for forty years. Therefore I was provoked with that generation, and said, 'They always go astray in their heart; they have not known my ways.' As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest.'"

            In the past several months, I have been pondering what it means to be called by God.  I know that all people have a threefold calling:
1.      Each person is called to accept the salvation by grace given to us through the atoning act of Christ’s incarnation, life, crucifixion, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension. 
2.      Each person is called to a vocation (not a career) that God specifically prepares them to do.  This is not a job, but an act of service to God.
3.      Everyone is called to something in the immediate present – your, church, family, circle of influence.  What does God have for you right now?
As much as I am sure that God has called me to be a minister, I am not sure what mode it will take.  I think I am supposed to be a chaplain, but is that because I like the idea of the chaplaincy, or is it really God’s call.  I guess that God will open the doors for me, and if I am supposed to be in the Navy, I will make it into the program, pass the medical, get endorsed, and every other of the seemingly endless things that have to be filled out before I get commissioned.  I do know, however, that if the chaplaincy is not my calling, I will be a minister.  It is my vocational calling. 
            I find the contrast between Moses and Jesus to be expected.  Jesus was greater than Moses? No way!!  But then I have to remember, that the people to whom this book was written were Hebrews, and Moses and the Mosaic Covenant were pretty much the gold standard for religious excellent.  So now, the Apostle Paul, or whomever you believe to be the writer to the Hebrews, has to remind the people that, “Yeah, Moses did a pretty good job as the mouthpiece of God, but Jesus was God incarnate. 

            Do we boast in our Hope?    A. R. Fausset says that “boasting in our hope” is believing that which we hope for (eternal union with God) has already come to pass.  When I doubt my calling, or when I don’t know what to do, I am supposed to rejoice that I have the gift of everlasting life, and be confident in the promises of God.  Not that everything will be easy, but that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love him, and are called according to his purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment