Friday, February 15, 2013

Journey to the Cross: Lenten Reflections ~ Like Lambs in the midst of Wolves – Luke 10:1-9


              I have to be honest; I had never heard or read this passage of the Bible until about 2 weeks ago.  I was reading the Gospel of Luke in its entirety as research for a paper I was writing on the Theology of Chaplain ministry.  The Gospel of Luke records the most about Jesus’ ministry while he was on earth, and as I was reading, I had no recollection of ever hearing this story in Sunday school, taught from the pulpit, or reading it on my own.  Several things stuck out to me on which I thought I could reflect.
After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go. And he said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road. Whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace be to this house!' And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you. And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house. Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you. Heal the sick in it and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.' Luke 10:1-9 ESV

Sheep Among Wolves Productions            First off all, this must have taken some planning on Jesus’ part.  I know that he is omniscient and omnipotent, but while on earth, he chose to deny himself use of those attributes, so I think he had to make a plan just like you or I would.  Who were these 72 people.  If 12 of them were the apostles, that leaves 60 other people who were vital to Christ’s ministry who have gone down in history as being unnamed.  Principle: Serving Christ does not always get you remembered, but we do it anyway. I wonder if he has specific duo’s in mind, if he numbered them off gym class style “1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2……” of his they got to choose.  It says that they went to all the cities that he was planning to minister in, so this shows that Jesus put forethought into his earthly ministry.  Principle: Have a plan, random ministry is rarely effective ministry.  Jesus sends them out saying “There is a lot of work to do, and not a lot of people to do it, oh yeah, you are going out as sheep with the wolves.”  I don’t know about you, but when I minister for Christ, I want to think that with Christ on my side, who can stand against me!!  But Jesus himself said, you are pretty much going to be helpless and vulnerable.  This reminds me of a quote from Henri Nouwen’s book In the Name of Christ.  In it he says of his ministry to the disabled people of Daybreak, one of the L’Arche Communities, “These broken, wounded, and completely unpretentious people forced me to let go of my relevant self and forced me to reclaim the unadorned in which I am completely vulnerable, open to receive and give love, regardless of any accomplishments.”  Ministry is not about what I can do, it is not about me at all, it is about the people to whom you minister, and ultimately about God.  Christ sent these 72 people out for the benefit of the people they were going to come in contact with.  I think it was also to stir up excitement for when Jesus did come to that town, people would want to see Jesus.  Take nothing with you – Translation: God will provide for your needs.  Speak to no one on the road – Translation: Go with a sense of purpose, and do not get distracted before you get to where HE has sent you.  Where ever the disciples went, they were to be peaceful.  Don’t stir up trouble, remember blessed are the peacemakers.  Eat what they give you – Be gracious and thankful. Heal the sick and proclaim the coming kingdom.  Christ gave them the gift of healing and they were to use it.  We are to use whatever gifts we have been given for his glory.  We are also to proclaim that Christ is coming back, and that he is coming soon.  


Go ye an do likewise - have a great weekend, and happy lentening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment